Blackheads are a type of acne, which is a skin condition most commonly known as pimples, zits, whiteheads or blackheads. Blackheads are dark acne lesions. Teenagers are always horrified to find acne on their face. Acne can be formed overnight, but it takes days to get rid of them. In this article, we talk about Natural Remedies To Remove Blackheads.
Blackheads happen when the pores of the skin are blocked. The sebaceous glands produce sebum. Sebum is responsible for protecting the skin and keeping it properly hydrated. Over-production of this oil leads to acne and blackheads.
The plugs are called comedones. Blackheads are open to air and so the plug turns black as the sebum gets oxidised, while whiteheads are not open to air. Normally comedones are three main types –
- Comedones – Blackheads and whiteheads.
- Pustules – Pimples with pus or nodules which are deeper.
- Cyst –Large nodules.
Some of the main causes of blackheads and other acne are:
- Overproduction of sebum (oil) in the skin.
- Excess sebum along with dead skin blocks the hair follicles and clogs the pores.
- If the pores are open after getting filled with dirt, then they look black and hence called blackheads.
- If pores are closed after being filled with impurities, then they are called whiteheads.
- Hormonal changes during puberty can also increase sebum production.
- Heavy sweating can also block pores.
- Wrong cosmetic use or overuse of cosmetics can also cause acne.
- An unhealthy diet comprising of more oil, fats and dairy products can also cause acne.
Some of the things to be kept in mind while avoiding blackheads are listed below –
- Keep proper hygiene by washing your face normally. Do not over-scrub or over wash your face, as this might lead to irritation.
- Avoid tight clothing which makes your skin difficult to breathe and this leads to over sweating.
- Never pop, pick or squeeze your blackheads as they will add more dirt, bacteria and will also lead to scarring and inflammation.
- Ensure that you wash your pillowcase frequently, at least once a week, as they will have dead skin cells and excess oil from your face.
Natural Remedies To Remove Blackheads
Turmeric and mint juice
Put some mint tea in water and boil it. Allow it to cool and then add a tablespoon of turmeric powder. Apply this mix on the face and leave it on for around 10–12 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
Egg white Mask
Egg whites tighten the pores and pull out the dirt from the pores. Separate the egg white from the yolk. Apply a thin layer of egg white on your face. Keep it for around 5 minutes to dry and then apply the next layer of egg white and give it around 15 to 20 minutes to dry. Wash it with warm water for a smooth and clear skin.
Honey and cinnamon
Honey and cinnamon is a good combination for getting rid of blackheads. The anti-bacterial agents in the honey pull out the dirt which clogs the pores, while the cinnamon improves the circulation of the blood to make your skin look healthy and smooth.
Mix 1tbsp of honey and 1tbsp of cinnamon together and make a paste and cover the affected area. Apply a thin layer of the black head and then press a strip of clean cotton over it. Keep it on for 5 minutes and then rinse your face. Apply moisturizer on your face after rinsing it with water.
Take some lemon juice. If you have a sensitive skin, then dilute it with water. Wash your face and pat it dry. Take a cotton ball and soak it in lemon juice and apply it on the affected parts 3-4 times a week, preferably during bedtime. When you wake up, rinse your face with lukewarm water.
Oatmeal and Yoghurt
Yoghurt has lactic acid and oatmeal calms the skin. Both help in removing blackheads. Mix around 3tbsp of yoghurt with 2tbsp of oats along with some drops of lemon juice and olive oil. Mix properly and apply it on the affected part. Wait for around 10 to 12 minutes and then wash it with warm water.
Bentonite clay or cosmetic clay is rich in minerals that heal the skin. When you apply the mask on the skin it gets enriched with minerals and at the same time, it removes all the residues and impurities from the skin. Mix 1tbsp of powdered clay with apple cider vinegar and make a paste. Apply it on your face and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes till it is completely dry and then wash it off with warm water.
These are some easy and natural remedies to remove blackheads. A proper diet and good care of your skin go a long way in keeping your skin smooth and healthy.