Premature greying of hair has become an increasing problem in today’s world. Both men and women suffer from it. Normally people colour their hair for different reasons such as experimenting with hair, wanting to look younger etc. People start greying after their late 30’s and by mid-forties. in this article we talk about How To Stop Premature Greying Of Hair .
How To Stop Premature Greying Of Hair
- Hair becomes grey when the colour producing cells stop producing the colour pigment.
- Genes play a role in premature greying.
- Though most consider stress as also playing a role in the greying of hair, still no scientific research has confirmed this fact.
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency is also responsible for premature greying.
- A thyroid problem also can lead to premature greying, but it is reversible when the problem is corrected.
Let us look at some easy tips that can avoid greying of hair –
- Avoid using chemical colours and harsh synthetic products on the hair.
- Use natural ingredients like henna to camouflage your grey hair.
- In summer and during hot afternoons, either wear a scarf or a hat to avoid damage caused by heat and sunshine.
- Take care of your hair by applying different vegetables, fresh fruit juices and herbs etc.
- Eat food rich in vitamin B and C, Copper, Iodine and Iron.
- Always relax and avoid stress and burnout.
Natural hair packs to avoid pre-mature greying –
Amla or Gooseberry hair pack
Massage your scalp with organic coconut oil mixed with fresh amla or gooseberry juice.
4tbsp Indian Gooseberry or amla powder
2tsp Brahmi (pennywort) powder
4-5tbsp methi (fenugreek) powder
½cup of thick fresh coconut milk
Mix all the ingredients and make a paste. Apply the pack on the scalp and hair. Leave it on for about 20-25 minutes and wash it with a mild natural or herbal shampoo.
Mixed Herb hair pack
¼cup of neem (margosa) juice.
3-4tbsp of amla (gooseberry juice)
¼cup of fresh thick coconut milk
2-4tbsp of wheat grass juice.
Mix all the juices properly and massage this mixture on your scalp and keep it on for about 5-10 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water and mild natural shampoo. You can use conditioner also to condition your hair.
Coloring your hair naturally
Henna (mehendi) is a natural way of colouring your hair. But it is important to know that
- The leaves of Henna powder dry your hair just like any herbs would do. It should ideally be mixed with fresh fruits.
- Henna is suited only for dyeing some uneven stands of hair but not the entire grey hair.
- The red tinge of henna becomes glaring and is not advisable.
Henna and fruit hair pack
2cups of fresh henna leaves
5-6gooseberries cut in small pieces
1/4cup fresh coconut
¼cup fresh beet slices
Wash the henna leaves and grind them with no water. Grind the remaining ingredients and extract the juice. Add this juice to the ground henna paste.
Partition your hair in different segments. Apply this paste to each segment carefully. Start from the root and apply the paste to the remaining length of the hair. Ensure that the paste is applied evenly throughout. Tie your hair up and put on a shower cap. Leave it for around 2 hours or longer if you want a deep colour. Wash it off with cold water.
This is the most common form of natural dyeing which is good and effective. Chemical colouring or dyeing, leads to dry, weak, brittle and frizzy hair. Over a long period of time due to its continuous usage, it will make your hair unattractive.
If you still choose to use chemical and attractive hair colours which can be damaging, ensure that you give your hair good natural nourishment as given below.
Fruit and Egg hair pack.
1 over ripe banana
1 slice of ripe papaya
4-5tbsp of olive or almond oil
½cup of thick fresh coconut milk
2 egg yolks
2 dashes of lavender oil
Blend all the ingredients in a smooth paste. Partition your hair in different segments and apply the paste to the length of each segment. Tie your hair in a bun and cover it with a shower cap. Leave it on for about half an hour and wash your hair with a natural herbal (like aloe vera shampoo) and a good conditioner. This will nourish your hair and reduce the damage. .
These are easy natural tips to avoid premature greying of hair.
Hope you enjoyed this article How To Stop Premature Greying Of Hair .Please read our earlier article 4 Natural Remedies for Hair Growth