Lemon is a fruit which is a powerhouse of nutrients. It is loaded with vitamins, folate, calcium, copper, magnesium, iron, zinc, flavonoids and fiber etc. We all have had fresh lemon water or fresh lemonade, which has refreshed us. In summer, cool fresh lemonade helps to boost up your energy. In this post we talk about the Health Benefits of Lemons and the Health Benefits of Lemon Water.
Lemons are acidic in taste and alkaline in nature, which helps them to balance the acidic condition in the body. Lemons are used for health purpose, in beauty treatments, in food preparation and in a variety of other things.
Lemons were first cultivated in South Asia and in the Mediterranean region. A lemon tree produces fruit all year around. Lemon has more potassium than grapes and apples. Therefore it is extremely good for the heart.
We all need to know how to pick up a good lemon. Some of the tips for picking up good lemons are listed below :
- Lemon stays fresh for about 7 to 10 days in a cooler place, not directly below the sunlight. You can also keep them in the refrigerator in order to stay fresh for a longer time.
- Lemons which are heavy, will have more mineral content and sugar.
- Thick skinned lemons will be lighter than thin-skinned lemons and will have less sweetness and minerals.
- Lemons should be fully yellow, the ones which have green tinges are not ripened and will be very acidic.
Health Benefits of Lemons
1. Lemon is a good source of Vitamin C and other antioxidants.
Lemon is from the citrus fruit family and so is very high in Vitamin C. It helps in protecting the body from free radicals. Vitamin C also helps in lowering the blood pressure and reducing the risk for cardiovascular diseases.
2. Lemon Juice can help in hydrating the body.
More than 70% of our body is water and so we need to drink plenty of water to hydrate our body. Some people don’t like to drink plain water and so it would be good to add lemon juice and flavor your water with lemon.
3. Lemon helps in treating indigestion.
Lemon juice in your salads or any dish will not only add flavor but will also help in digestion. It acts a blood purifier and also a cleansing agent. Avoid adding lemon to milk or any milk based dishes.
Having lemon juice with rock salt, soda, and fresh mint leaves will give relief to indigestion. Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning helps in preventing constipation. Health benefits of lemon water are very high.
4. Lemon benfits for weight loss.
Many nutrition experts advise drinking lemon juice in lukewarm water to lose weight. Some research indicates that lemon water helps in aiding weight loss due to the increase of water intake and fullness.
5. Lemon helps in giving relief against cold and flu.
Lemon helps in curing and preventing cold and flu due to the high content of vitamin C. It helps in boosting the immune system thereby preventing diseases. Lemon is also a blood purifier, which helps in giving relief against many diseases.
6. Lemon helps in curing respiratory disorders.
Lemon Juice is rich in vitamin C and has antibacterial properties. This helps in treating throat infections. People suffering from asthma and other breathing problems have found relief with the intake of lemon juice in their diet.
7. Lemon is good for the skin and hair.
Lemon is one of the most used ingredients in natural and herbal beauty face packs. It is loaded with minerals and vitamin C which helps the skin.
Some of the benefits of lemon for the skin and hair are listed below :
- Regular lemon consumption in your diet helps in preventing wrinkles and dry skin.
- Lemon has bleaching properties which help in lightening the face, elbows etc. It also helps in removing the suntan from the skin.
- Lemon juice freshens your breath and makes it pleasing. We have always rubbed lemon on our hands to remove the stench of fish, garlic, and other strong odor foods. Lemon helps in avoiding bacteria in the mouth.
- Lemon juice is also applied as a natural antiseptic medicine to cure acne and blackheads.
- Applying lemon juice on the scalp helps in treating dandruff.
- Lemon Juice and peels of lemon can be added to warm water so that you can dip your feet into this water and get relaxed. Health benefits of lemon peela re very high and popular.
8. Lemon helps prevent kidney stones.
It is important to note that citric acid helps prevent calcium, which is one of the main reasons for the formation of kidney stones. Lemon water is ideal as it not only helps to hydrate the body but also gives you citric acid, which helps in preventing the formation of stones.
These are some of the health benefits of Lemon. We know that lemons are easily available throughout the year and can be included in our diet. The inclusion of lemons in our diet will help us lead a healthy lifestyle thereby preventing many diseases.
Hope you have enjoyed reading this post on the Health Benefits of Lemons.
Also please Like, Share and Subscribe to our Newsletter below and also to our YouTube Channel smartwomanworld.
Please also read our earlier article Health Benefits of Cucumber
Please check out our Smart Shops.Tags: benefits of lemon on face, health benefits of lemon and honey, health benefits of lemon peel, health benefits of lemon water., Health Benefits of Lemons