Cabbage is a humble leafy vegetable which has green and whitish leaves. It is grown in almost all parts of the world. It is eaten, either raw or cooked in different dishes or salads. It is a humble vegetable loaded with vitamins and nutrients. In this article, we talk about the Health Benefits of Cabbage.
There are different types of cabbages like red cabbage, green cabbage, purple cabbage and Bok choy cabbage. These different types of cabbages are widely used in different cuisines all over the world.
Research has indicated that the inclusion of cabbage in our regular diet has led to the reduction of constipation, stomach ulcers, heart diseases, eye disorders etc.
Health Benefits Of Cabbage
Some of the major health benefits of cabbage are listed below :
1. Cabbage has high anti-inflammatory properties.
Cabbage has high anti-inflammatory properties that help in easing the irritation of the skin, inflammation, allergies and many other skin disorders. Glutamine present in cabbage is a strong anti-inflammatory agent.
It also has skin healing properties which help in healing acne, ulcers, wounds and rashes etc. You can apply cabbage juice or crushed cabbage leaves on your face or on any other affected part of the body.
2. Cabbage is high in antioxidants and vitamin C.
Cabbage is high in vitamin C, which is one of the main nutrients needed by the body. The vitamin C found in cabbage is higher than in oranges.
The antioxidants present in cabbage helps in reducing the free radical damage in the body. It builds the immune system and helps to battle common cold, cough and other diseases.
3. Cabbage is rich in fiber and helps in relieving constipation.
Cabbage is high in fiber and helps in making the stools bulky. This further helps in relieving constipation and other digestion related issues. As it is rich in fiber, cabbage helps to relieve many skin conditions.
4. Cabbage helps in improving the memory and overall brain health.
Many important brain-boosting nutrients like Vitamin K, anthocyanins etc are present in cabbage. It is also rich in antioxidants which helps in protecting the brain from any damage, improving the brain functions and also improving the nervous system.
Research has clearly indicated that including cabbage in your diet helps boost the brain health of a person.
5. Cabbage helps in losing weight.
Cabbage is one of the most important ingredients in any salad due to the presence of its weight loss properties. It is rich in fiber, low in calories and is quite filling. Cabbage can also be cooked in different tasty ways and can be included in your diet for e.g cabbage soup, salads, khimchi etc.
6. Cabbage has high anti-microbial properties.
Cabbage is rich in sulphur which helps to fight microbial infections and also helps in the healing process. Sulphur helps in giving relief against acne breakouts. It is also an important ingredient which helps to keep the hair, skin and nails healthy by removing the bacteria and toxins from the body.
7. Cabbage is good for the skin.
Cabbage has high antioxidant properties which help in detoxifying the liver. This helps in flushing out the toxins from the body. The vitamin C present in cabbage has good anti-aging properties. Steamed cabbage leaves and juice is used in many face packs for flawless skin. The potassium present in the body helps in purifying and cleansing the body.
9. Cabbage is good for the hair.
Cabbage is rich in nutrients like vitamins, potassium, sulphur, magnesium, iron etc., which are very good for the hair. These nutrients help in stimulating the hair growth, making the hair smooth, healthy and in preventing hair loss.
10. Cabbage helps in improving the bone health of the body.
Cabbage is rich in calcium which helps in improving the bones and teeth. Vitamin K present in cabbage also helps in improving the muscle and nerve functions.
11. Cabbage helps in detoxifying the body.
Cabbage helps in detoxifying the body by flushing out toxins like free radicals and uric acid, which are the causes of major diseases. As it is rich in vitamin C and sulphur, cabbage helps in cleansing the body.
There are many other additional benefits of cabbage which are listed below –
- It helps in improving the vision.
- It helps in building the immune system of the body.
- It helps in having good heart health.
- It encourages digestion and relieves constipation.
- It helps in keeping the blood sugar under control.
How to choose fresh cabbage?
- Avoid taking cabbages whose outer leaves are already removed, as the vendor will remove the aged outer leaves inorder to make it look fresh.
- Cabbage leaves should be fresh and shiny.
- The leaves of the cabbage should be tightly gripped to the stem. If the leaves are beginning to separate from the stem, then the cabbage is not fresh.
- Do not take a pre-cut cabbage or any other vegetable for that matter, as it loses its essential nutrients.
There are many ways by which a cabbage can be included in your diet. You can include it in salads, soups, rolls, sizzlers, vegetables, rice etc. With so many health benefits associated with cabbage, it is high time that you include it in your regular diet.
Hope you have enjoyed this article on the Health Benefits Of Cabbage. Please like and subscribe to our newsletter for more awesome daily articles.
Please check our earlier article Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Please check our Smart Shops.Tags: cabbage good for weight loss, cabbage recipes, Health Benefits Of Cabbage