Today’s recipe, Chicken Xacuti, pronounced as Shakuti is a very popular Goan dish that is rich, spicy and intensely flavorful. Goan feasts are incomplete without Chicken Xacuti. In todays article we share with your our special Goan Chicken Xacuti Recipe.
Chicken Xacuti is a unique dish that consists of Coconut, Onions and Kashmiri Chilies. It’s naturally gluten free. It is one of the fantastic Goan curries relished by all. Goan cuisine, has a distinct and unique combination of spicy flavors. Goan food is not only simple but also hot and spicy. Roasting the coconut until it is golden is a must otherwise you won’t get that deep red color. Everyone at home enjoys this dish.
This curry has the spiciness from dry red chilies and the richness of poppy seeds. It also has a touch of freshly ground spices like coriander, fenugreek and poppy seeds.Tamarind adds a unique and tangy taste to the curry. Chicken Xacuti is a all time favourite dish for any celebration . We enjoyed it on the New Years eve. Normally it is eaten with Goan pao (poi) or rice. I will encourage you to try this dish which will surely win your heart.
Goan Chicken Xacuti Recipe
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Tomatoes – 2 (finely chopped)
- Onions – 4 (finely chopped)
- Potatoes – 3 (halved)
- Kashmiri chilies’ – 20
- Cloves – 10-12
- Pepper corns – 25
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 2 inch
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Khus khus 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Coconut – 1(grated)
- Wash the chicken and marinate it with 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste, a little salt and 1 lemon juice.
- Roast the grated coconut, Kashmiri chilies, poppy seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cloves, peppercorns, khus khus, 2 onions , 1 tomato and coriander seeds.
- Grind all this into a fine paste.
- In a pan add 2 tbsp oil, then add the remaining 2 onions and 1 tomato and sauté it well.
- Then add the ground masala and the potatoes.
- Sauté this for 3 – 5 mins.
- Then add the marinated chicken, add half cup water and allow the chicken to cook for 15 – 20 mins.
- Garnish this with coriander leaves.
Your tasty Goan Chicken Xacuti is ready to be relished.
Hope you enjoyed this article Goan Chicken Xacuti Recipe.Please read our other recipes.