In almost every sphere of life, technology has taken over. While there are many benefits in using technology, there are also disadvantages in using excessive technology. People, including young children, are addicted to computers, tablets, smartphones, ipads and every possible technology gadget or game. One of the immediate and serious fallouts of the overuse of technology is deteriorating eye health. In today’s post, we talk about Eye Care Tips For Computer Users.
Computers and other gadgets are extensively used in schools, colleges and offices and hence its use is unavoidable. However you can definitely take some precautionary measures to keep your eyes healthy.
Common causes of deteriorating eyesight :
- No proper lighting in the surrounding. Also, there might be reflection or light glare coming from the windows.
- You see blurred letters on the screen due to increased computer screen time.
- Constant viewing of the screen leads to the tiredness of the eye muscles and hence you are not able to focus properly.
- Due to constant staring or over-concentration on the screen, your blinking reduces drastically, leading to fewer tears, thereby making the eyes red and itchy.
- The heat generated from the back of the computer increases tear evaporation.
Common symptoms of deteriorating eyesight :
- Straining your eyes.
- Watery eyes.
- Itching and redness in the eyes.
- Getting headaches.
- Vision becomes blurred.
- Seeing double vision.
Eye Care Tips For Computer Users –
So today, let us look at some of the easy ways of taking care of our eyes while using computers and other gadgets.
1.Take care to ensure proper lighting on the computer screen and the surroundings.
- Most of the time we are continuously reading on the computer, smartphone or on our ipads and so it is important that you adjust the monitor settings to a proper reflective lighting scheme. Use the filter to reduce the brightness.
Additionally, the room should have proper lighting and not bright lighting. Too much of light puts a strain on the eyes and is definitely not good. Hence keep your lamps etc., focused on your desk and not on you. Your computer or any other gadget should be positioned in such a way that there is no reflection from the windows.
It is good to have a normal lit room and you should also consider using curtains to avoid too much of light coming in from outside.
2.Take adequate rest gaps while using computers, ipads and smartphones.
Experts have advised a rest break of 5 to 10 minutes when you are continuously using the computer for around 30 – 45 minutes. Closing your eyes for a few minutes can moisten the eyes. Also, increase the frequency of blinking to increase the lubrication and the moisture of the eyes.
Rs. 7,250 Rs. 6,780
Rs. 1,499 Rs. 320
3. Properly adjust the reading angle and magnify the text on the screen.
It is good to keep the computer screen downward and about 25 to 29 inches away from the eyes. The screen should be big with proper adjustment of brightness and contrast.
The size of the text should be magnified in order to avoid straining and to make reading easier and comfortable. These are small things which can help to avoid eyestrain that may result from constantly staring at the computer screen.
4. Eat a healthy and balanced diet.
One of the best ways to protect the eyesight is to eat foods that are rich in Vitamin A, C and E. Foods such as spinach, kale, fenugreek leaves, broccoli, peas etc., are rich in the antioxidant lutein, which helps in preventing macular degeneration and vision loss.
Further, eat protein-rich foods such as fish, which are high in omega 3 fatty acids and help in good vision. Fish like salmon, tuna, trout, sardines etc., are high in omega 3 fatty acids, which help in the prevention of damage to the retina.
5. Always clean and wipe your computer screen and other gadgets.
It is important to routinely clean the screen of your gadgets (computer, smartphones, ipads etc.) with a dry clean cloth. This will remove the dirt and fingerprints and will give you clear visibility.
6. Use proper glasses in case of vision difficulty.
If you have vision difficulty then do a proper eye check-up and take a doctor’s opinion. Proper eyeglasses will help you read and see much better. Research has also indicated that spending more time outdoors, amongst nature will help in having a better vision.
Some of the other important ways of taking care of your eyes while using a computer, especially for children, are listed below :
- Restrict the screen time for young children. It should not be more than one hour.
- Eat healthily and exercise daily.
- Always encourage children to stay far away from the computer screen or any other gadget.
- Educate your children to blink frequently and take regular eye rest.
- Experts have said that children who use smartphones, computers and tablets etc., are at a higher risk to irreversible eye damage due to the blue light emission from these devices.
Finally, we would like to conclude that maintaining good eyesight is very important. We need to take good care of our eyes by following the above simple and easy ways.
In this fast developing technology world, it is important to ensure that our young children do not get addicted to technology, leading to the deterioration of their vision. Take proactive and effective methods to ensure good eye health for the entire family.
Hope you have enjoyed reading this article on Eye Care Tips For Computer Users. For more articles please like and subscribe to our newsletter.
Please read our earlier articles such as Nail Care Routine
Please check out our Smart ShopsTags: Eye Care Tips For Computer Users, eye health